Get news updates from WGBH
Thu July 3, 2014
The Must-Read Books Of The Summer
Whether you’re soaking up the sun on the beach or riding out a rainstorm in a cozy cabin, a good read is the perfect companion. A panel of local writers shared some titles worth devouring this summer.
Jabari Asim is an associate professor of writing, literature and publishing at Emerson College. His most recent book is "Fifty Centers and A Dream."
- Fiction: "Song of the Shank," by Jeffrey Renard Allen
- Non-fiction: "A Moveable Famine," by John Skoyles
- Children and young adult: "The Crossover," by Kwame Alexander
- Guilty pleasure: "The Twelve," by Justin Cronin
Randy Susan Meyers' new book, "Accidents of Marriage," will be released in September.
- Fiction: "Silver Sparrow," by Tayari Jones
- Non-fiction: "Knowing Jesse," by Marianne Leone
- Children and young adult: "Ballerina Dreams," by Lauren Thompson and James Estrin
- Guilty pleasure: "The Little Bride," by Anna Solomon
Julie Wu is is the author of "The Third Son."
- Fiction: "Running the Rift," by Naomi Benaron
- Non-fiction: "Behind the Beautiful Forevers," by Katherine Boo
- Children and young adult: "Not a Drop to Drink," by Mindy McGinnis
- Guilty pleasure: "Divergent," by Veronica Roth