Get news updates from WGBH
BOSTON PUBLIC RADIO
Tue September 10, 2013
The Best Bets For Live Music This Fall
The fall arts season is once again upon us. There is no shortage of opportunities to see great live music in New England. WGBH's Edgar B. Herwick III and Brian McCreath joined forces with Berklee College of Music's Rob Hochschild for a preview of the season's best shows.
Boston Public Radio's Edgar B. Herwick III:
- Grand Point North Festival, 9/14-15, Burlington, VT.
- Flaming Lips and Tame Impala, 9/30, Agganis Arena.
- Youth Lagoon, 10/13, House of Blues.
- Red Baraat, 11/9, Royale.
Classical New England's Brian McCreath:
- Boston Symphony Orchestra, Mahler's Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection," Christoph von Dohnányi, 9/26-29, 10/1.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra, Wagner's Siegfried Idyll, Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 25, Brahms' Symphony No. 3, Andris Nelsons conducting, 17-19.
- Boston Baroque's New Directions, Manuel De Falla's Concerto for harpsichord, flute, oboe, clarinet, violin, cello, 10/19.
- Chris Thile, Celebrity Series, 10/20.
- Chameleon Arts Ensemble, Immortal Notes, Parisian Air, 10/5-6.
Berklee's Rob Hochschild:
- Christian Scott, BeanTown Jazz Festival, 9/28.
- Aubrey Logan, Scullers, 9/18.
- Francisco Mela and Cuban Safari, Tufts University's Distler Performance Hall, 10/11.
- Madeleine Peyroux, Berklee Performance Center, 10/27.
Special bonus shows! Brian McCreath's honorable mentions:
- Saras and soprano Dominique Labelle, 10/18, and Ensemble Plus Ultra, 11/9, at Boston Early Music Festival.
- Discovery Ensemble and pianist Shai Wosner, Jordan Hall, 10/20.
- Cantata Singers 50th anniversary season opener, Jordan Hall, 9/20.
- Boston Lyric Opera, Mozart's The Magic Flute, Shubert Theater, opens 10/4.
- Odyssey Opera, Wagner's Rienzi, Jordan Hall, 9/15.
- Boston Classical Orchestra, pianist Benjamin Pasternak, Fanieul Hall, 9/28-29.
- Boston Musica Viva, Banned in Boston, Tsai Performance Center, 10/5.
BOSTON PUBLIC RADIO