Get news updates from WGBH
BOSTON GLOBE'S FROM THE ARCHIVES
Wed August 8, 2012
From the Archives: The Cape Cod Canal
Each week, Greater Boston is partnering with the Boston Globe to bring you photos “From the Archives,” a feature where more than 1 million staff photographs have been digitized and are being shared with the Globe’s readers each week.
The week of Aug. 6, the Globe features images from... the Cape Cod Canal.
The Cape Cod Canal was opened with much fanfare on July 29, 1914, a toll waterway put into operation less than 3 weeks before the Panama Canal opened. It bore only a slight resemblance to the canal we know today. The idea of a canal to connect Cape Cod Bay with Buzzards Bay had first been proposed by the Pilgrims, and ill-fated attempts at construction had been tried several times. While the completed canal cut transit times around the Cape, at just 15 feet deep it could accommodate only smaller vessels. Work continued to deepen the expanse, but without the larger ships as customers, the toll operation was a financial failure. Accidents due to dangerous currents and the narrow openings of the original bridges further scared off traffic, and it was sold to the federal government in 1928. New bridges allowing safer navigation were completed in 1935, and the Army Corps of Engineers expanded the 17-mile waterway to the current 32-foot depth and 480-foot width by 1940.