Get news updates from WGBH
Wed June 26, 2013
Aaron Hernandez Charged With Murder
Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was charged with the murder of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd on Wednesday afternoon.
Lloyd, 27, was found dead in an industrial park less than one mile from Hernandez's North Attleborough home on June 17.
Hernandez was charged with murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and possession of a large capacity firearm, according to the Massachusetts State Police. The investigation is still ongoing.
Hernandez was arraigned at Attleboro District Court. On Wednesday morning he was led out of his home in handcuffs. The Patriots released Hernandez shortly after his arrest.
Hernandez charged with Murder, Unlawful possession of a firearm, Possession of a large capacity firearm. Invest ongoing. No further updates.
— MASS STATE POLICE (@MassStatePolice) June 26, 2013
- June 17: The body of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd is found in an industrial park a mile from Hernandez's home.
- June 18: Police spend hours searching Hernandez's home as another group of officers search the industrial park.
- June 19: The Bristol County district attorney's office says the state medical examiner ruled Lloyd's death a homicide. A man files a lawsuit claiming Hernandez shot him in the face after they argued at a strip club in Miami in February.
- June 20: A news helicopter follows along as Hernandez drives from his home to the Patriots stadium. State police search brush with metal detectors and poles on a road leading to the entrance to Hernandez's subdivision.
- June 21: CytoSport, which makes Muscle Milk and other supplements for athletes, says it's ending Hernandez 's endorsement contract, effective immediately, because of the investigation. The Hernandez investigation leads officers to a Providence strip club, but police wouldn't say what they were doing there. Family members say Hernandez and Lloyd were together the night Lloyd died.
- June 22: State police with dogs return to Hernandez's home to conduct an additional search.
- June 23: Officers don wetsuits to search woods near Hernandez's home.
- June 24: Hernandez is arrested at his home and arraigned on charges of murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and possession of a large capacity firearm.
WGBH News will continue to update this story as it develops.